Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Old Flour Sacks











A friend at work asked me if I would like some old fabric sacks, he wondered if I might be able to use them in a quilt or something, he had a few. So this is what I got, a whole basket of flour, meal, salt, oat and sugar sacks. Most were made here in Oregon, even some here in Salem. They are not made out of prints, but look at the wonderful condition they are in. They all appear to have been used, as I was taking one apart to press the flour was fluffing out of the seam. So the question is . . . what do I do with them? Do I frame them in with reproduction fabrics and put them in a quilt? Do I stuff some and make them into pillows? Frame them? Just not sure where to begin. How do I wash them? Once they are in a quilt do they need special care? With such a special gift I need some special ideas :-)~

2 comments:

Tracey said...

Oh Judi!! I am lovin the flour sacks!!

Check out this etsy shop!!
ginnymae.etsy.com she makes fabulous feed sack purses!!

Hugs!
Tracey
polkadotsandpicketfences.com

Anonymous said...

Wonderful!
Pull them apart, shake them well, then iron them before washing. (Protect the ironing board and your iron.) I have some which will become quilt tops with old looking prints or plain frames around each one, others will be quilt backs.
Judy B